mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] Proper SOAP Handeling

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] Proper SOAP Handeling

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] Proper SOAP Handeling
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 17:21:18 -0400

On 8/6/10 4:50 PM, Jim Cox wrote:
I've used spring-ws and open saml successfully in a web application.
You are correct, it is just a matter of implementing your own
Marshaller/Unmarshaller, then delegating to open saml to do the work.

But you will run into problems if you plan to use this in Tomcat. I was
never able to get unmarshall to work under Tomcat 6, or even when the
client was a standalone java application running under a sun 6 jre.

Given my current distaste for all things Tomcat it's doubtful I'd be trying this any time soon. ;)

Spring ws relies on SAAJ to handle the xml processing. I suspect that
sun's saaj impl is not honoring the endorsed mechanism. By the time it
gets to the Spring Marshaller, it is already a DOM that can not be
processed by open saml.

Yeah, this is very common story. Some library lower in the stack, usually something you can't do anything about, mangles the XML or DOM and then you're screwed. You might ping the Spring people and see if they provide a way to override that part of their pipeline. They're usually pretty good at have those types of plugin points (but not very good at documenting them).

Oddly, this worked fine under Websphere 6.1 with the web services
feature pack installed. I was able to use SOAPUI to send a signed
artifact resolve request to the server. The server could verify the
signature and send back an artifact resolve response. I suspect that
IBM's saaj message factory is already using xerxes.

It almost certainly is since IBM's JAXP impl is Xerces/Xalan.

I think I have some example code laying around somewhere. If there is
an interest I can dust it off and post it somewhere.

Feel free to post on opensaml.org.

--
Chad La Joie
http://itumi.biz