mace-opensaml-users - Metadata Validity

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Metadata Validity

  • From: "Lhunath (Maarten B.)" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Metadata Validity
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:18:23 +0100

I'm working on generating SAMLv2 metadata using OpenSAML for consumption by
Sun's OpenSSO.

I've set up the OpenSAML part and am generating metadata for three services.
OpenSSO, however, is not accepting the resulting metadata.

The following generated metadata causes OpenSSO to say "Unable to find
certificate to verify signature under element "EntityDescriptor"."
http://stuff.lhunath.com/metadata-no-cert-found.xml

I then attempted explicitly adding KeyInfo to the Signature on my
EntityDescriptor root element, which got me a bit "further":

The following generated metadata causes OpenSSO to say "Unexpected element
{urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:metadata}:KeyDescriptor"
http://stuff.lhunath.com/metadata-unexpected-key.xml

Removing the KeyDescriptors from the metadata altogether (do they serve a
specific purpose still when they all specify the same certificate and it's
now specified in the Signature's KeyInfo?) gave me another message yet:

The following generated metadata causes OpenSSO to say "Unexpected element
{urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:metadata}:SingleLogoutService"
http://stuff.lhunath.com/metadata-unexpected-slo.xml

As far as I can gather from the SAMLv2 Metadata specification, both metadata
files are valid; though perhaps I am overlooking something.

  • Metadata Validity, Lhunath (Maarten B.), 12/17/2009