mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML Performance

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML Performance

  • From: Ted Hesselroth <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML Performance
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 10:41:01 -0600

Thanks. We have a license for JProfiler, so I'll probably use that. I will let you know what I find vis-a-vis opensaml.

Chad La Joie wrote:
The other thing I can recommend is to consider getting a trial copy of YourKit Java Profiler. I've used it to profile the IdP and it works pretty well. It would certainly help you isolate exactly what is taking up your invocation time.

Ted Hesselroth wrote:
We are using opensaml-2.2.0 in a client-server application. We also have a legacy service using opensaml-1.0.1 in the same container. In our tests, we can authorize with the legacy service at 50 Hz, but with 2.2.0 the rate is only 10 Hz. We are passing a bit more information in the newer application, but not five times as much.

Is there a general performance difference between the two versions? Would going to a version higher than 2.2.0 help? Is there some understanding of where the bottlenecks occur in opensaml-2.2.0, such that we might change our implementation to avoid them?

Thanks for any responses. If anyone has a link to other performance testing of opensaml, we would appreciate knowing about it.

Ted Hesselroth