mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] signed SAMLRequest in SOAPMessage

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] signed SAMLRequest in SOAPMessage

  • From: Xavier Drudis Ferran <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] signed SAMLRequest in SOAPMessage
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 17:34:51 +0200

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:27:16AM -0400,

wrote:
> when I printout the opensaml SAMLRequest before it is send, I have this
> <Request xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:protocol"
> xmlns:saml="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:assertion"
> xmlns:samlp="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:protocol" ...
>
> the webserviceclient puts this in the body:
> <samlp:Request xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:protocol"
> xmlns:saml="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:assertion"
> xmlns:samlp="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:protocol" ...
>
> which is also valid xml but the signature on the samlRequest is broken now
> (samlRequest.verify() on serverside throws an exception).

I thought there was some canonicalization method that
ignored those changes, but I don't remember which
and maybe it is not usable for this case. But you may want
to have a look at the definition of canonicalization
methods in XML-Signature if you can afford to change
it (I guess you can).

> Have you guys stumbled on this problem before ?

Not I.

> How to deal with namespace prefixes in signed samlRequests?

I think that by specifiying the right canonicalization, but I'm not sure.

> Is there anything I should do on clientside/serverside before
> signing/verifying?

set some canonicalization attribute on the empty signature before
generatign the signature value, I guess.

> I think I can work around this by defining as input of my webmethod a
> simple String in my wsdl instead of the saml request element of the saml
> protocol schema but if possible, I want my interface to clearly define it
> only accepts SAMLRequests.

I hope you can do it.

--
Xavi Drudis Ferran