Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject:
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:55:22 -0400

I am using the latest SAML2 library for Java.
When I call the encrypt() method of an Encryter for an Attribute, it looks like the downline code is using
SecureRandom to generate an unique id for the Node.  On my XP machine at least, this is a VERY expensive operation, and I find it spending 2.2-2.5 seconds
in the nextByte() .

Do others find this to be true?  Is there a way I can generate my own id for the Node?

SecureRandom is critical for key generation et al. but isn't it overkill for generating a simple id?
What am I missing?

Edward Thompson
Charlotte, NC 28202