mace-opensaml-users - RE: How would someone create a C++ wrapper?

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: How would someone create a C++ wrapper?

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: How would someone create a C++ wrapper?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:39:38 -0400

> I've spent several days reading both, and I still haven't figured out how
> to proceed. Is anyone willing to give a short (1-2 paragraph) guideline on
> what to wrap, what code to focus on, etc. Thanks in advance.

I don't really know how to answer you. I can tell you what specific classes
do, assuming the doxygen output doesn't help you, but what you're asking for
is a large amount of effort. I couldn't do it in a few pages, let alone a
few paragraphs.

I think what you're trying to do is a difficult task that would require
first a very deep understanding of the parts of SAML involved and then a
detailed assessment of the subset you want to wrap. I would say that "IdP"
and SP" are not constrained sufficiently to do that.

Shibboleth is a mostly unconstrained attempt and I'm sure there are things
that could be omitted, but getting anybody to agree on what those things are
would be the first step in reducing the problem.

In effect, the library stops at the core and binding level. An IdP and an SP
implement profiles, so you can't wrap the library to do them, you have to
add code. The library is just deep inside that code. It doesn't contribute
much to the overall shape of that code, frankly.