mace-opensaml-users - Re: Problems initializing XML tooling in servlet (TOMCAT) environment

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: Problems initializing XML tooling in servlet (TOMCAT) environment

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Problems initializing XML tooling in servlet (TOMCAT) environment
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:07:57 -0400

JAXP is an interface, Xerces + Xalan happen to provide one implementation (the only one which we know works). Sun happens to ship a pre-alpha release of a really old version of Xerces which is the com.sun.org.apache.... classes. These are horribly broken and fail on anything but the simplest of XML parsing use cases.

If you see com.sun.org.apache... classes being used then Apache released and maintained versions of Xerces and Xalan are not being used.

At the moment you seem to be providing contradictory information. You said that it "just doesn't do anything" and then "looks like it fails while validating". Is there some error you are seeing that you didn't include? The loading of classes that you included is not a problem in and of itself, the JVM will load thousands of classes as it runs.

wrote:
Hello -

While working with openSAML I still have some problem at
DefaultBootStrap.bootstrap but this time it wouldn't throw the exception
reported in this mail. It just doesn't do anything after reaching a specific
point in the stack. But looks like it still fails while validating the XML.

Also I switched on the verbose and this is what I find:
First few lines:

[Opened C:\apache-tomcat-5.5.17\common\endorsed\xalan.jar]
[Opened C:\apache-tomcat-5.5.17\common\endorsed\xercesImpl.jar]
[Opened C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\lib\rt.jar]

I find many classes loaded from xerces - An exmaple
[Loaded org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl from
C:\apache-tomcat-5.5.17\common\endorsed\xercesImpl.jar]

I also find many classes loaded from xalan - An example
[Loaded org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl from
C:\apache-tomcat-5.5.17\common\endorsed\xalan.jar]

I also find many classes loaded from rt.jar that are related to xml validation
Ex:
[Loaded com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.validation.ValidatorImpl from
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.validation.ValidatorImpl$1
from C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.validation.ValidatorImpl$2
from C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\lib\rt.jar]

Is this behavior correct?
I read http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-javaxmlvalidapi.html
that jaxp is bundled with xerces.

Am I missing something which needs to be resolved?

I appreciate any help.

Regards
Prasanna Krishna

--