mace-opensaml-users - Re: Problems signing response...XMLObject does not have the XMLSignature created during marshalling

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: Problems signing response...XMLObject does not have the XMLSignature created during marshalling

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Problems signing response...XMLObject does not have the XMLSignature created during marshalling
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 01:09:46 -0400

Oh, I didn't notice before: you also need to set the signature and
canonicalization algorithm URI's. There's a full example in this unit
test (an Assertion, but same thing).

http://tinyurl.com/ytg9kh

Those correspond to the SignatureMethod and CanonicalizationMethod
elements of the SignedInfo. Those are mandatory to the signature
process. So before marshalling (and signing) you need to also do:

sig.setCanonicalizationAlgorithm(SignatureConstants.ALGO_ID_C14N_EXCL_OMIT_COMMENTS);
sig.setSignatureAlgorithm(SignatureConstants.ALGO_ID_SIGNATURE_RSA);

Change the actual algorithms URI params to suit your needs.

I also see that these steps aren't explicitly mentioned in the Wiki doc
page. I'll add something there.

You might also want to run something newer than 3-month old code. The
security-related stuff (signature, encryption, credential/key
management, etc) has changed a lot in that time.

--Brent