mace-opensaml-users - RE: determining the statement type

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: determining the statement type

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: determining the statement type
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:37:13 -0400

> Hmm, I don't think I did a very good job explaining what I'm trying to
> do. I want to write a function that takes a SAMLStatement and outputs
> a type (as a String). For example:
>
> getStatementType(statement) ==> "saml:AuthenticationStatementType"
>
> I'm assuming of course there may be an arbitrary number of statement
> types, not just the standard types.

Yes, I misunderstood you. You can't do it with OpenSAML. With extension
types, you might be able to derive it from the xsi:type, but with the
built-ins, you'd have to have the underlying schema itself to supply that
data.

I think there are APIs in the parser for accessing "type information" when
you validate, but I have no experience using them. I believe they involve
the PSVI extensions to the DOM.

Even with OS2, we don't explicitly capture the XML "type" unless it's
supplied as a schemaType property of the XMLObject.