mace-opensaml-users - Re: Sigining of Assertion instead of Response

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: Sigining of Assertion instead of Response

  • From: Andreas Vallen <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Sigining of Assertion instead of Response
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:38:52 +0100

Hello Tom,

Thanks for pointing me to the "WantAssertionsSigned" metadata attributes. I didn't know that it is used for exactly this purpose.

Access Manager (version: 7.0/05Q4 + SAMLv2 plugin) does not dynamically resolve a partner entity's metadata as proposed by the "well-known location" method in the metadata spec. However it produces and uses metadata for its own configuration. So possibly it is no Access Manager bug after all - I will try again with "WantAssertionSigned" set to 'false'.

Given this metadata option it seems reasonable to make this option also configurable inside opensaml2's Encoders that do the signing.

Andreas

Tom Scavo wrote:
On 1/15/07, Andreas Vallen

The version of the Sun Access Manager product that we test our opensaml-based IDP against,
expects the Assertion element instead of the Response element to be signed (in the case of
successfull Responses).

This is clearly a Access Manager bug - it should work either way.

FYI, a Shibboleth SP (which is based on OpenSAML) communicates its
desire for signed assertions via metadata:

<md:SPSSODescriptor
WantAssertionsSigned="true"
protocolSupportEnumeration="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.1:protocol">

So now I'm curious ;-) does Sun Access Manager produce SAML metadata,
and does your IdP consume it?

Tom