mace-opensaml-users - RE: OpenSaml 1.1 Users Guide

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: OpenSaml 1.1 Users Guide

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: "'OpenSAML'" <>
  • Subject: RE: OpenSaml 1.1 Users Guide
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 15:22:26 -0500

> Sorry about the misinformation. The bottom line is: OpenSAML 1.1
> doesn't really have any associated documentation. I was asked to
> outline a wiki topic at one point, which I did, but as you can see, it
> was never really completed, and probably never will.

Actually, you volunteered. ;-)

I'm not crazy enough to ask anybody for help with docs.

> download? I'm trying to use WSS4J to place a SAML assertion into a WS-S
> message, and it would appear that WSS4J reqruies the openSAML 1.1
> org.opensaml.SAMLAssertion object instance, which as far as I can tell, is
> only availalbe in openSAML 1.1, but I can't find any documentation that
> tells me how to use the 1.1 API.

Yes. Flattering on their part, but a mistake, reinforced by the fact that
2.0 has a different API.

But the code was released as is, and there are no plans to document it any
further than the javadocs do. It's production code, but also frozen at this
point.

2.0 will be interface-based, rather than class-based, which means it would
be less of a horrible thing to reference it in an API, but I would still
avoid it were I the WSS4J authors. There are no Java APIs for this sort of
thing. The DOM is the only choice we have for interchange between libraries.