mace-opensaml-users - Exception when signing a SAMLAssertion

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Exception when signing a SAMLAssertion

  • From: "Paul Ashford" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Exception when signing a SAMLAssertion
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:51:56 -0400

Title: Exception when signing a SAMLAssertion

I have created a SAMLAssertion.  If I call checkValidity(),

everything seems “ok”.  When I go to sign the assertion, I get the

following:

org.apache.xml.security.signature.XMLSignatureException: Cannot

resolve element with ID _8174b24a4dcd9dece0216b9ece5445ab

It seems that, when calling the “sign” method, it calls toDOM(), which

in turn generates an “AssertionID”.  This ID (referenced through the

 “getID()” method on SAMLAssertion) is then sent as a reference to the

XML Signature on line#194 in SAMLSignedObject.  However, the toDOM()

method puts the ID on the Assertion tag as an attribute named

 “AssertionID”, but ONLY puts it as an ID Attribute if the minor

version of the Assertion > 0 (i.e. saml 1.1)

So, does this mean that SAML 1.0 documents cannot be signed?  Or, do I

need to do something else to sign a SAML 1.0 document?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA