mace-opensaml-users - RE: Any good books on SAML?

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Any good books on SAML?

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Any good books on SAML?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:08:41 -0400

> As one venturing into the SAML world, are there any good
> books out there dedicated to SAML?
>
> I know pickings will be slim so I won't be picky if it
> doesn't address SAML 2.0.

I'd be surprised if you found much that's accurate, particularly for 2.0,
and 1.1 is superceded and not really at all similar in capability.

As far as all the web services stuff is concerned, finding anything that's
accurate will probably be tough. I would recommend looking at the latest
Liberty specifications for working examples of how SAML actually gets used.

I have some material that might be helpful here:
https://authdev.it.ohio-state.edu/twiki/bin/view/Shibboleth/WebServices

The Liberty Single Sign-On Service, particularly the token profile version,
is probably the best "in the wild" example of a SAML profile designed to
build on 2.0 and deliver new features using it, but since I wrote it, that's
kind of cheating. A lot of the internal thought behind designing SAML
profiles using the 2.0 spec is unfortunately in my head.