mace-opensaml-users - RE: New to opensaml

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: New to opensaml

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Ambarish Mitra'" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: New to opensaml
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:29:19 -0400

> Now, the question is: the remote web service returned me a SOAP response
> and this has an SAML assertion.

That's not generally how SAML and SOAP work together. I'm not sure what
you're doing here, so it's hard for me to help. In SAML protocol, you don't
return assertions alone, they end up inside SAML Response messages and those
are returned in SOAP.

> How do I parse this response?

The SOAP handling in the library is in the SAML/SOAP Binding classes, which
do all the HTTP and SOAP handling for you.

> At least, what are the first steps?

Take a look at the SOAPHTTPBindingTest unit test for an example.

SAMLBinding b = SAMLBindingFactory.getInstance(SAMLSOAPBinding.SOAP);
SAMLResponse response = b.send(endpoint,request,null);

> After my project, I plan to help the opensaml group in documentation.

A lot of people say that, and nobody ever does, which is why most open
source projects have little or no documentation. The bottom line right now
is that we're trying to get the new version done, and documenting the old
version isn't on the TODO list.

The new code is javadoc'd and doxygen'd and there will be some supporting
material. That's one of the reasons it's taking so long. People want it fast
and they want it documented, but that's not possible.