mace-opensaml-users - Re: Using OpenSAML with WebSphere 6.0.2

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: Using OpenSAML with WebSphere 6.0.2

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Using OpenSAML with WebSphere 6.0.2
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:15:27 -0500

Hey Chris,
OpenSAML relies on the JAXP 1.3 interface and the Apache xmlsec library (which I believe itself is free of dependencies on Xerces or Xalan). Does WAS's JRE support JAXP 1.3? If so, have you attempted to use OpenSAML without endorsing Xerces or Xalan?

Currently this endorsement is required for the Sun JRE because Sun consistently ships broken XML handling code that at best results in memory leaks and normally just fails with ambiguous errors. If IBM's JRE has good JAXP 1.3 support you may not need to use Xerces or Xalan.

Chris Rose wrote:
Hi;

I see this has been mentioned at least once before on this list, but the
resolution described there () is not sufficient for me. The versions of
the XML libraries shipped with WebSphere Application Server 6.0.2 on
Solaris are:
# /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/java/jre/bin/java -version
java version "1.4.2_08"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (IBM build 1.4.2_08-b03
20050517)
IBM Java ORB build orb142-20050429
XML build XSLT4J Java 2.6.5
XML build XmlCommonsExternal 1.2.04
XML build XML4J 4.3.4

The versions with OpenSAML 1.1a are:
# /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/java/jre/bin/java -versionjava version
"1.4.2_08"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (IBM build 1.4.2_08-b03
20050517)
IBM Java ORB build orb142-20050429
XML build Xalan Java 2.4.1
XML build XmlCommonsExternal 1.3.02
XML build Xerces-J 2.7.1

Our client is encountering issues with the XML libraries that can be
traced to the fact that we've replaced the default libraries with those
that come with OpenSAML. Is there anyone on this list that has
implemented a JAAS login module for WebSphere that uses OpenSAML
authentication that can offer some suggestions as to how to accomplish
that?

Failing that, how can I (safely) change the name of the parser required
by OpenSAML to one that's available in WebSphere?

Thanks.

--
Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124