mace-opensaml-users - Re: SOAP library

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: SOAP library

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To: OpenSAML <>
  • Subject: Re: SOAP library
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:18:30 -0500

Some SOAP stuff may appear in OpenSAML2, I just haven't gotten that far yet (that's next week's work). In all likelihood, if it appears, it will rely on another SOAP library and the basic SAML classes and the DOM they generate will work with others (assuming the other classes can take DOM objects).

I think re-inventing SOAP libraries and tying our implementation to them is a bad idea and we should work to avoid it if we can. It may turn out, and I believe this was true in OpenSAML 1, that it just isn't feasible without some pretty rough performance hits.

Andreas Åkre Solberg wrote:
We are in the process of evaulating which SOAP library to accompany openSAML.

I have always though that openSAML was totally independent of a soap library, interfacing the soap library with a DOM object, XML stream or string. But today I was told that openSAML contains a SOAP implementation.

Diving into the source I found something that looks like a simple SOAP implementation. What are the quality of this implementation - production ready? To be used with HTTP servlets? Can it be used with Apache? Does it scale to tenths and hundreds of simultanous transactions? Is it used in Shibboleth? Does it work with SSL two- way cert auth? Would you reccomend using this built-in SOAP thing or accompany openSAML with axis or JAX-WS? Would you prefer JAX-WS or axis together with openSAML.

Looking into the java-opensaml2 module of opensaml 2.0 I could not find much SOAP stuff. Is it left out, or does it exist in the XML tool module or in shib?

To Scott: Thank you very much for earlier very useful replies on this list.

--
Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124