mace-opensaml-users - Re: OpenSAML 2 Update

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: OpenSAML 2 Update

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: OpenSAML 2 Update
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 15:02:26 -0500

Forgot to mention one other thing. The current state of the code represents what we believe to be a fairly mature design and as such work will be starting shortly on the C++ library following the design of the Java code.

Chad La Joie wrote:
Over the holidays a fair amount of work was done on the OpenSAML 2, Java Edition, library so I wanted to give everyone an update.

- The largest change was the refactoring of the basic XML processing interfaces and implementations. There is a now a set of code, located in org.opensaml.xml, that can be used to construct a library like OpenSAML for any XML specification. That is to say there is a framework for composing and decomposing XML documents to and from Java objects. This code is NOT the same as an XML binding library such as XMLBeans, JAXB or the like, instead it is lower level. An analogy might be that this code is to JAXB what JDBC is to Hibernate or EJB. Our current thinking is that we will release this code as a separate library for people to use if they want.

- Enhanced functionality for the base classes of SAMLObjects and their test cases. Lots of helper methods.

- Test cases for almost all the code that's currently in Subversion

- Updated time line and documentation to reflect changes made to API during the refactoring process. The refactoring wasn't planned for so it moved some of our milestones in the time line back, however because of the refactoring, a good chunk of the code we would have had to write fell away, so the overall release date didn't change.

As always, if anyone has any questions please let me know.

--
Chad La Joie 315Q St. Mary's Hall
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124