mace-opensaml-users - Problems in using SOAP protocol in openSAML 1.1

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Problems in using SOAP protocol in openSAML 1.1

  • From: Sisto Luisella <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>, OpenSAML <>
  • Cc: Chiaro Luisella <>, Bonifati Maria <>
  • Subject: Problems in using SOAP protocol in openSAML 1.1
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:35:03 +0100

Dear Scott and other openSAML users,

I submit you an urgent problem coming from our developers, who are trying to use Open SAML 1.1 libraries in order to implement the Artifact Resolution protocol based on SOAP.

Hoping you may give us a hint, since we are having implementation problems,

we thank you in advance,

Luisella Sisto

The problem is the following:

I must implement the communication between IdP and Service Provider by means of the SOAP protocol.

From the IdP side, I have started a web server (tomcat) with an accessible .jsp page (http://myIpAddress/prova/home.jsp) in order to access the objects request (HttpServletRequest) and response (HttpServletResponse).

From  the SP side, I send a SAMLRequest to the IdP endpoint (http://myIpAddress/prova/home.jsp)

using the class org.opensaml.provider.SOAPHTTPBindingProvider in the code line:

SOAPHTTPBindingProvider provider = new SOAPHTTPBindingProvider(SAMLBinding.SOAP, null);

and calling the method send which sends the SAMLRequest  to the endpoint and receives the SAMLResponse

SAMLResponse samlResponse = provider.send(endpoint, samlRequest, null);

 I implement the SOAPHTTPBindingProvider also from the IdP side

and I call the method receive passing the HttpservletRequest of the jsp page as the first parameter reqContext:

SAMLRequest request = provider.receive(HttpServletRequest, 1);

In effects the IdP receives the SAMLRequest embedded in the SOAP tags. Then the IdP must send the response using the method respond: provider.respond(respContext, samlResponse, null);

What can be used as first parameter (respContext) in order to send the response ?

I thought to use the HttpServlet Response of the jsp page, but this solution is not correct, because from the IdP side the following message lets me know that the OutputStream is already being used:

Ctx( /prova): IllegalStateException in :R( /prova +/home.jsp + null ) OutputStream is already being used for this request

Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to
. Thank you