mace-opensaml-users - RE: Expiration: IssueInstant/NotOnOrAfter

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Expiration: IssueInstant/NotOnOrAfter

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Expiration: IssueInstant/NotOnOrAfter
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:17:06 -0400

> Not knowing any better, I'd assumed that the "conditions"
> could be iteratively validated in a generalized manner (such
> as with TSIK's validateConditions) and that an arbitrary
> NotOnOrAfter could be set, but it seems that the bounding
> condition is config.clock_skew_secs rather than NotOnOrAfter
> -- what is the reasoning behind basing expiration on
> IssueInstant rather than simply NotOnOrAfter?

Because the assertion has to be short lived, and I don't trust the IdP to do
the right thing. Ensuring freshness protects the SP, so I treat it as an
invariant condition. Note that this is explicitly permitted at line 814 of
bindings+profiles. I suppose it could be made an option, but I didn't see
any compelling reason to leave it up to the IdP.