mace-opensaml-users - RE: Charset restrictions in NameIdentifier

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Charset restrictions in NameIdentifier

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Charset restrictions in NameIdentifier
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:21:46 -0400

> Are there restrictions on the character set used in the
> NameIdentifier or the AttributeValue contents?
> Is there some mandated or recommended encoding?

Are you asking about the spec or my code? If the former, not really. if the
latter, most of the code operates solely on Unicode strings and doesn't care
what the encoding is as long as the parser supports it, but output is always
to UTF-8.

In a few places in C++, practical considerations mean that some UTF-8
strings are treated as ASCII, but never for any comparison purposes, only
because both are null-terminated.