mace-opensaml-users - Re: Charset restrictions in NameIdentifier

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: Charset restrictions in NameIdentifier

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Charset restrictions in NameIdentifier
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:45:56 -0400

On 8/9/05,

> Are there restrictions on the character set used in the NameIdentifier or
> the AttributeValue contents?
> Is there some mandated or recommended encoding?

In some cases, yes. For example, a NameIdentifier with format
X509SubjectName has certain encoding restrictions inherited from
[XMLSig] (see section 7.3 of the SAML 1.1 core spec). Our project
relies on X509SubjectName, so I have it on my TODO list to implement
this encoding, but I haven't got around to it yet.

I don't believe there is any inherent restriction on AttributeValue.

Hope this helps,
Tom