mace-opensaml-users - RE: Action Element in AuthorisationDecisionQuery

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Action Element in AuthorisationDecisionQuery

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Action Element in AuthorisationDecisionQuery
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:15:57 -0400

> The one thing I dont understand is why the Action Element at
> the AuthorisationDecisionQuery is a must.

Because the semantic of the query is "can I perform a certain action?"

> Our goal is to get all actions a subject can do and not a
> restricted number of them.

SAML does not support such a use case. It does not let you ask about what
set of policy applies, it only asks for a policy decision.

> Should or could I ignore it without violating the standard?

No. You could use an Action that means "Any", but the semantic is still "can
I perform "any" action?"