mace-opensaml-users - RE: how to get log to work in opensaml?

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: how to get log to work in opensaml?

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: how to get log to work in opensaml?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:55:05 -0500

> To debug the issue, we try to get the log4cpp to work within opensaml.

In fairness, I doubt the log will tell you much of anything. It's obviously
parsing ok, but the signature verify fails (for any of countless reasons).
The exception message itself is probably about all you're going to get out
of the log though. You'll eventually want to pull the SAML response into a
file and try signtest to get a raw verify to work. Maybe that's what you
mean you did, but it's the same code involved.

> Here is my attempt in the code:
> conf1.log_config = "c:\\www\\log4cpp.properties";
> but conf1.init() always fails.

I don't know offhand what the allowable path syntax is. Try it without the
Windows nastiness (/www/log4cpp.properties) unless it's clearly reading the
file.

> The content of log4cpp.properties looks like the following:

I can't really tell you what exactly will or won't work, it's not my logging
code. We use something like I include below and it works. Maybe your example
is too fancy or wrong somehow. The syntax isn't log4j, it's just
approximately similar.

-- Scott

# set overall behavior
log4j.rootCategory=INFO, shar_log

# define the appenders

log4j.appender.shar_log=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.shar_log.fileName=@-PKGLOGDIR-@/shar.log
log4j.appender.shar_log.maxFileSize=1000000
log4j.appender.shar_log.maxBackupIndex=10
log4j.appender.shar_log.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.shar_log.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S} %p %c
%x: %m%n