mace-opensaml-users - Re: Use SAML Assertion as Kerberos Ticket

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: Use SAML Assertion as Kerberos Ticket

  • From: Derek Atkins <>
  • To: "Pham Hoai Van" <>
  • Cc: "Tom Scavo" <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: Use SAML Assertion as Kerberos Ticket
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:13:57 -0500

A SAML Assertion does not include a Shared Secret with which the
holder of the assertion (the user) can assert real-time possession.
In other words, generally the assertions are single-use (unlike
Kerberos tickets which are multiple use) and you handwave around the
potential attacks by using SSL and assuming that someone on the
network can't grab your packets, read your assertion, and replay the
message before the original message gets to the SP.

-derek

"Pham Hoai Van"
<>
writes:

> Kerberos model:
> http://www.oit.duke.edu/~rob/kerberos/kerbauth.html
>
> Because Kerberos Ticket is not xml-based, so i want a replacement of it
> with
> other xml-based message.
>
> Is it feasible with SAML Assertion ?

Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)

PGP key available