mace-opensaml-users - RE: SAML 2.0 Implementation

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: SAML 2.0 Implementation

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Prasad Shenoy'" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: RE: SAML 2.0 Implementation
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:58:27 -0500

> I was following your dicussion with respect to Prakash's concern. I
> was wondering about your plans for SAML 2.0 Implementation. I am
> looking at SAML 2.0 specs at the moment. Is there any implementation
> work already in the pipeline ? Other than SourceID who I guess are
> working on SAML 2.0 Toolkit, is there any open source version being
> built ?

There will be an OpenSAML 2.0 sometime late this year or next unless
somebody steps up and delivers code that I'm satisfied with before then.
Since nobody else in this field works with C++, and I require it, it's a
given that I will have to do most of that work anyway. The Java version
probably will be more of a hybrid of different contributors, depending on
licensing considerations.

There is little or no work on my part done yet, I have too many other things
to finish before I can start. I have a metadata implementation that may be
pushed into a 1.1 release, or might stay in Shibboleth for now, I haven't
decided yet. That's not a substantial piece, but it would push some
additional abstractions into the code base for dealing with plugins.

As for SourceID, I'm inclined to say that it's good if there are some
competing alternatives people can choose from, and we only overlap in one
language at this point anyway. It's hard for me to really let myself look at
it without risking contamination, so that makes it difficult, but with their
license changing, that might not be such a concern now.