mace-opensaml-users - RE: Microsoft support for SAML

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Microsoft support for SAML

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Richard Gundersen'" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Microsoft support for SAML
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:56:24 -0500

> However, I've had interest from someone with a web app application written

> in ASP.

To do what exactly? "Using SAML" is a fairly broad heading. If you mean
processing the SAML itself or creating queries, etc., I'm not aware of any
support for that in old ASP.

PingID does have a .NET version of some sort, I think (now open source) and
from what I can see, Microsoft has some support for SAML in their latest WSS
code. Since the SAML token profile is barely ratified, anything they've got
out is draft standard at best.

> I'm not familiar with Microsoft products, so I was wondering how
> good their support is for SAML, and more importantly am I going to have to

> pay for additional modules etc.

Microsoft has in the past indicated they plan to support SAML tokens with
their WS-* stack (and their code seems to). They will probably not support
the SAML protocol layer.

> Could the OpenSAML C++ implementation be used here?

If anything, it would be harder to get at than the Java would (Java works
fine on Windows), although wrapping it in a COM layer would arguably be
somewhat easier with the C++. I don't use COM anymore since I do only cross
platform stuff these days, otherwise I might have done a wrapper myself.