mace-opensaml-users - RE: RE : PHP

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: RE : PHP

  • From: "Mark Wilcox" <>
  • To: "'Antoine Tissier'" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: RE : PHP
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:39:52 -0400

Much of PHP (and the other scripting languages like Python and Perl) is a
layer of translation code around existing C/C++. This is why you can be very
powerful with these languages very quickly - there's lots of C libraries out
there - but the scripting languages are easier to work with.

And because they're calling C, there's very little performance penalty.

So essentially what you have to learn how to do is to extend PHP so that PHP
can call the OpenSAML C++ toolkit. The benefit is that you're writing PHP
but underneath you're taking advantage of the C++ OpenSAML toolkit directly
- as opposed to passing data to an external program.

But since you said that it's a shared environment - you're not likely going
to be able to use PHP extensions either.

Mark