mace-opensaml-users - RE: Log4cpp and apache logging project, log4cxx

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Log4cpp and apache logging project, log4cxx

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Cameron Morris' <>,
  • Subject: RE: Log4cpp and apache logging project, log4cxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:22:07 -0400

> I just went to Novell's Open Source Review Board. (They
> check for problems with intellectual property and licensing)
> They had a concern with the log4cpp LGPL license being used
> with the other licenses.

What's the concern with the LPGL, out of curiosity?

> But they also pointed out that apache is taking on some of
> the log4j derivitives in their logging project:
> http://logging.apache.org/
> Since log4cpp has been dormant, (See
> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=349806 ) I'm
> assuming opensaml would like to move on to apache's log4cxx.

Yep, it's in the plans.

> Has anyone looked at doing this or tried? If I have to do
> this, is there someone who can help? And finally, if I do
> this, will OpenSAML want it?

We're planning to, but contributions are welcome. I don't expect the changes
to be very significant, having looked at it a bit. The general approach is
the same, with similarly odd use of const references to the logging objects
returned.