mace-opensaml-users - What is digested

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

What is digested

  • From: "Mark Wilcox" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: What is digested
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 19:37:27 -0400

I'm trying to understand SAML even more fully (as opposed to the somewhat
abstract knowledge I have now from running the tests in the OpenSAML Java
SDK).
What values are used to create the digest in the ds:DigestValue tag : like
so
<ds:DigestValue>gmjaBYw5W/F1z6XMjbsGibcwI4o=</ds:DigestValue>

And is the algorithm just plain SHA-1 and Base64 encoding the output of
SHA-1 or is something else going on.

I'd like to just pretend it's all black-boxed, but when you're the guy in
the middle who's job it is, is to make all of this stuff work - the more you
need to know :).

Thanks,
Mark