mace-opensaml-users - Building a SSO prototype using openSAML

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Building a SSO prototype using openSAML

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Building a SSO prototype using openSAML
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:30:52 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I have to create a web application protoype which supports SSO, so i am
interrested in openSAML. I have read that there is no real tutorial about how
to use the openSAML Java API and the Shibboleth project seems to me a little
bit ... "obscure".

*** Here is my context : ************
- An authentication server A, able to say whether a couple user/password is
valid or not.
- Several web servers W1,W2,...Wn, able to provide some ressources.
- Several user U1,U2,...Um, with their web browser.

*** Here is what i already have : ***
- The user U1 gives his login/password into a form, on a login.htm page
located on web server W1.
- The action of the form is to post the login/pass to a a login.jsp page
(still on W1) which calls a webservice on authentication server A to know if
the login/pass is valid.
- If the login/pass is valid then the login.jsp create a session on W1 and
then if U1 comes back to W1 he doesn't need to sign in again.

*** What i need : *******************
- If U1 try to leave W1 and connect to W2, the SSO idea is that he also would
not need to enter his login/pass again.

I have no idea about how to use the openSAML API in order to reach this goal.

*** Some question : *****************
- When the authentication server A1 says that user U1 is valid he should
create an assertion about this fact and send it to the web server W1 ?
- When the user U1 leaves the web server W1 and go to W2, W1 should send the
assertion to W2 which then should ask to A1 if the assertion is valid ?
- Is the edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.hs.HandleServlet exactly what i
may be looking for ?

I'm a french student, sorry for the way i write, i hope you will understand
my message. I hope somebody here could help me, thanks :-)

texier g.