mace-opensaml-users - AssertionID and DateTime format

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

AssertionID and DateTime format

  • From: "Tracy Bertrand" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: AssertionID and DateTime format
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:01:23 -0700

Hi,
I am using OpenSAML to parse SAML assertions that were non-OpenSAML generated, and I have run into two problem so far.

1 - This is the format of a datetime field that I am trying to parse:  NotBefore="2003-09-10T19:35:46.323Z"  But the parser gives a "ParseException: Unparseable date".  The parser does not complain if I remove the milliseconds from the assertion before parsing.  According to the SAML core specification, "SAML system entities SHOULD NOT rely on other applications supporting time resolution finer than milliseconds", so I don't see why it doesn't accept the milliseconds.

2 - This is the format of the assertion id field that I am trying to parse:  AssertionID="999.999.9.999.1063222546383"  But the parser gives a "SAXParseException: cvc-datatype-valid.1.2.1: '...' is not a valid 'NCName' value".  Since I thought it was a SAML 1.0 versus 1.1 issue, I tried adding
    config.setBooleanProperty("org.opensaml.compatibility-mode, new Boolean(true));
to my SAMLConfig object, and this by-passes the problem.  However, is this the correct way of handling this problem?  What are the possible implications?  Does this mean I'll be following only the SAML 1.0 spec (which is actually what I need)?

Thanks so much,
Tracy Bertrand