mace-opensaml-users - RE: How to create authentication using SAML and Security concerns!

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: How to create authentication using SAML and Security concerns!

  • From: "Wilcox, Mark" <>
  • To: <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: How to create authentication using SAML and Security concerns!
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:11:46 -0400

Title: How to create authentication using SAML and Security concerns!
I'm not sure you know what you're looking for :).

SAML provides a standard way for passing authorization statements around. It appears that much of this information is going to be demographic in nature (This request is from Mark Wilcox, he works at WebCT, Inc. We validated this based on his username and password verified against our LDAP server). This data is signed (and optionally completely encrypted) using Public Key Infrastructure -- normally X.509, not PGP (similar concept, different protocol).

What PKI provides is a greater level of trust between 2 sites so that you can more reliably base security decisions based on information provided from the external site via SAML.

The risk factor in SAML is really no different than any other system like this. And the risk factors are IMHO outweighed by the benefits.

Mark