mace-opensaml-users - RE: Signature validation fails after parsing SAML Response

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Signature validation fails after parsing SAML Response

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Shannon Kendrick' <>,
  • Subject: RE: Signature validation fails after parsing SAML Response
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:31:27 -0500

> I did a string compare on the "toString()" values of the two
> SAMLResponse objects and they checkout fine. It seems to only
> fail if I've got an AttributeStatement in the response.
> Without the AttributeStatement everything validates fine.

There are some issues with signing assertions inside responses, but that's
not what you're trying here, so this must be a new bug.

> Is it possible that either the validation or the check isn't
> including the AttributeStatement in the digest? If I wanted
> to sign the document myself would I use "toDOM" to get the
> Document reference?

That would be one way to do it, yes. toDOM() just gets you the DOM. The whole
mess gets a little complicated when you have
interactions between Documents, but it is possible to create a signature
externally using a DOM Document, and pass that in to
toDOM() to insure that the document is used uniformly. A bit messy though, I
admit.

Let me use your sample code to author a new Junit test and I'll see if I can
reproduce it.