mace-opensaml-users - RE: Authorization Statements/Queries

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Authorization Statements/Queries

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: "'Helen (Nell) Rehn'" <>,
  • Subject: RE: Authorization Statements/Queries
  • Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 15:46:08 -0400

> As part of master's project, it looks like I will need to implement
> AuthorizationDecisionQuery and AuthorizationDecisionStatement
> in Java if I am going to be using OpenSAML. I was wondering if
there's
> anything I can do to maximize the chances of these classes being
accepted
> back into the OpenSAML distribution.

Sure, you could help define what the guidelines are! ;-)

Seriously, it's a good question. Since I don't really own the copyright
(Internet2 does), I can't rightly claim to control the criteria, but I
imagine I'll be a part of that decision process.

At this point, we don't have a large code base, coding or style
guidelines (eg. I tend to violate every Java and C guideline, as a C++
programmer who dislikes K&R C), etc.

Clearly, the main issue with the core classes is the basic design. Right
now, you'd want to copy the basic design and function of what's there,
and simply fill in the missing pieces.

That said, I don't think the basic design is done. There's a lot of work
on the C++ side that's going to get ported back to Java. I have requests
from vendors to hide some of the dependencies on signing with the Apache
security code. And we're talking about possibly reworking the main body
of code to use interfaces and build a parallel set of classes for the
implementation, like DOM or lots of other stuff.

Lastly, there's the wildcard of JSR 155
(http://www.jcp.org/jsr/detail/155.jsp)

I'd look for things to stablize in the next couple of months, excepting
the standardization issue if that JSR becomes relevant.