k20innovators - Re: Action Items from previous call

Subject: Remote Instrumentation & Data Visualizations Working Group

Re: Action Items from previous call

  • From: James Werle <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Action Items from previous call
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 06:04:10 -0800

This is an excellent first step in defining the scientific
communities. Thank you Jason for pulling this together.

>I will need some insider knowledge on what the goals are for specific
>items. Ex: 'GIS' data was mentioned, and I have some contacts that may fit
>this >need, but it would help to know what specific purpose the GIS data
>would serve. Would the focus be on the people who are collecting the data
>and making >it available, or more for groups that are using the raw data to
>do interesting things? The same question can be applied to other groups.

I would imagine the scientists who are using the data and
technologists who are making the data collection possible are likely
in very close collaboration with each other. If this is the case, it
probably doesn't matter who engage for these initial interviews.
There could also be cases where we have K-20 folks who will want to
work with the technologists and others who would want to collaborate
with the scientists doing cool things with the data. I'm not sure we
want or need to predict in advance exactly how the use cases are going
to play out. What we certainly can do as a group is brainstorm some
of the likely K-20 use scenarios in each of the instrument categories
but not limit ourselves to these. Other thoughts?

Looking forward to our discussion this morning.
James

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 5:14 AM, Jason Zurawski

--
James Werle
Associate Director

cell: 206-713-4970

Find your Muse...Visit the K20 Initiative online community.
http://k20.internet2.edu