k20innovators - Request for Input Regarding Internet2 Strategic Plan Implementation

Subject: Remote Instrumentation & Data Visualizations Working Group

Request for Input Regarding Internet2 Strategic Plan Implementation

  • From: "Randy Stout" <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: <>, <>
  • Subject: Request for Input Regarding Internet2 Strategic Plan Implementation
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:47:00 -0500

Dear Colleagues,

In response to your request for input regarding the role and priorities of Working Groups, Special Interest Groups, and Advisory Groups relative to the Internet2 Strategic Plan, SPEC, and Implementation Framework, the attached Open Letter to the SPEC is submitted on behalf of the K20 Advisory Committee by the Committee's Co-Chairs.  We are grateful for the opportunity to provide this input and look forward to the dialog and follow up planning to take place in New Orleans.

Very Best Regards,

Randy

Dear Colleague,

We are writing to gain your advice on the implementation of the Internet2 strategic plan, specifically for the period January to December 2009. We are reaching out to you because you represent an Internet2 member, and/or have been involved in a working group, special interest group, or advisory group related to Internet2. Because we seek input from all those who wish to provide it, we are sending this letter to some who are not directly affiliated with an Internet2 member. Please respond as appropriate to your interest and engagement with Internet2.   All responses will remain confidential.

Our request is tied to the Internet2 strategic plan, found at
<http://is.gd/34G6>, which lays out a direction and set of strategies and associated tasks to be accomplished over the next several years.  On September 12, the Strategic Planning and Execution Committee (SPEC) published a draft Implementation Framework <http://is.gd/34Gb>. Based on community feedback, the SPEC has decided to manage its implementation efforts more directly through the four Councils and the Governance and Nominations Committee, rather than creating a new set of committees (see the mid-course correction description at <http://is.gd/3866>.  That said, in both the original framework and the newly modified version there is a focus on actively engaging working groups, special interest groups, and other working entities.  The SPEC is therefore reaching out directly to you because of your involvement with Internet2.

It will not be possible or desirable for Internet2 to immediately and equally address all of the tasks included in the strategic plan, so we need your input on Internet2 priorities for the period
January to December 2009. Some tasks may have priority because you believe they are immediate opportunities, they are efforts in which the community is already invested and others may have priority because they have high long range strategic value for the Internet2 community.  There is no set format for your responses. However, it would be helpful if you could also provide some rationale for why you believe a particular activity is important or is an opportunity, and what resources you think would be required to address that activity.  Please don’t hesitate to share new ideas that have yet to be identified in your particular area.

To provide structure to the process, the SPEC has linked each Internet2 Council to tasks in the strategic plan, and each working group, special interest group and advisory group has been linked to a Council. A chart displaying these linkages can be found at
<http://is.gd/2ZY1>. The chart has two columns for each of the four councils designating the tasks linked to that council and the groups relevant to those tasks. It also has a column for the Governance and Nominations Committee displaying the tasks to which it is linked. While this diagram does not fully capture the rich set of relationships in Internet2’s activities, it should enable you to locate your personal engagement and assist you in choosing task foci for your comments. We also recognize that many of you are on multiple groups, and thus ask that you respond as you deem appropriate, as well as identify the group role you play which is relevant to each response.

Your responses will be received by the SPEC, and summarized with assistance from Internet2 staff. That summary will be shared with you and the community prior to the Member Meeting and used to inform discussions in New Orleans. The resulting collected advice will be made available to the community following the Member Meeting. The information will be used by the SPEC and the Councils to develop recommendations to the Board of Trustees as part of the 2009 budget process. Based on the experience we gain this year, we will work to craft a process for continued strategic planning during 2009. Your input to future strategic implementation planning for Internet2 will continue to be critical to the success of the organization.

We greatly appreciate receiving your response no later than Friday, 3 October. This will allow sufficient time to compile the information and develop a cohesive summary.  Responses should be sent to
. Thank you for your time and we look forward to seeing many of you in New Orleans next month.

Best regards,

Internet2 Advisory Council Chairs
Ray Ford,
Dave Jent,
Tim Lance,
Pete Siegel, and
David Lassner, Chair, Governance & Nominations Committee

Randy Stout, Coordinator
Research & Development
Kansas Board of Regents - KAN-ED
1000 SW Jackson St., Suite #510
Topeka, Kansas  66612-1368
tel.785.296-7033
fax.785.296.7052

http://www.kansasregents.org
http://www.kan-ed.org

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER
FN:Stout, Randy
EMAIL;WORK;PREF;NGW:
N:Stout;Randy
END:VCARD

  • Request for Input Regarding Internet2 Strategic Plan Implementation, Randy Stout, 10/03/2008