k20innovators - Re: Any status on Jason Virtual Argonauts

Subject: Remote Instrumentation & Data Visualizations Working Group

Re: Any status on Jason Virtual Argonauts

  • From: "Susan Rutkofske" <>
  • To: <>, <>, <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: Any status on Jason Virtual Argonauts
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:04:41 -0500

We have had some success here at the St. Clair County Intermediate School District in Michigan with our partner Kathy Kraemer at TIES.

On February 18 we connected  3rd and 4th graders from Pte. Tremble and Kimball elementary (St. Clair County, MI schools) and a school in Edina, Minnesota with an Entomologist at Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Michigan. He gave a wonderful presentation and lots of follow up questions were asked. The event further explored bugs discussed during JASON as well as bugs more prevalent in the Midwest.

On March 3 we are connecting 3rd and 4th graders from Belle River and Kimball (St. Clair County, MI schools) and Edina, Minnesota elementary schools with a bat expert from The Cranbrook Institute of Science in Detroit. The presenter is the leader of the Organization for Bat Conservation and has done her research in Australia and Costa Rica.

This conference was so popular that we had to schedule another session on March 10. We hope that it will be as successful as our bug JASON follow up.

We hope to do a phase 3 in May. I would love to hear what others are doing and if you would like any information about the experts we found I would be happy to help!

Sue Rutkofske
Project Manager, Education Technology
St. Clair County Intermediate School District

>>> George Loftus <> 3/1/2004 2:58:50 PM >>>

Hello everyone.

I hope this message finds you all well ( and hopefully enjoying the
spring-like weather we are here in New England).

Pat Shea of the Jason Foundation and I were speaking earlier today and were
looking for an update on any activities happening with Jason within the I2
community.  I know some states had planned to hold their own follow up
activities utilizing video conferencing in February . Can we get a status
on those events ?  ( If I recall I believe Kathy Kramer was involved in the
effort of "Bugs, bugs, bugs!".

Pat does still have some opportunties to bring researchers to classrooms
via video conferencing, but that opportunity is running out, as there have
not been any requests as of yet.

I know I have been silent on this project, as other pressing matters have
taken my attention.  I hope my lack of involvement has not hindered your
efforts with the teachers.

So, anyone care to update the group ?

George K. Loftus                "Have fun at work Dad !"
        - parting words from my
401.295-0550                      16 year old son each day.
Fax 401-679-0095
Executive Director
OSHEAN, Inc.