ivclibrarians - Rights to Stream/Record Authors

Subject: K-20 librarians interactive video conferencing

Rights to Stream/Record Authors

  • From: Jim Loter <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Rights to Stream/Record Authors
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 23:46:43 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi there,

It was great to lurk and listen in on the call the other day. I had a
question that really isn't directly related to technology that I didn't find
a good opportunity to ask, so I'll pose it here.

For those of you in libraries that are currently live-streaming and/or
video-recording author readings/talks, have you met any resistance or
flat-out refusal from authors (or other rights-holders) to grant permission
for such a thing?

At The Seattle Public Library we audio-record all our major programs and make
the audio available within a few days via podcast subscriptions and download.
We get the author's/speaker's authorization to do this and haven't had any
(that I'm aware of) push-back, but our program managers fear that taking the
step to live-video and/or asynchronous video publication will "cross the
line" with some.

Anything to share?

Thanks,
Jim

--
Jim Loter ▪ Director of Information Technology ▪ The Seattle Public Library
1000 Fourth Ave., Seattle, WA 98104-1109

Reconnect with Reading!
I’m reading World's Fair by E. L. Doctorow &
The Mindful Leader by Michael Carroll