Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community
[I2-NEWS] Press Release: Internet2 Celebrates 20th Anniversary
- From: Elizabeth Boten <>
- To: "" <>
- Subject: [I2-NEWS] Press Release: Internet2 Celebrates 20th Anniversary
- Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 15:04:43 +0000
- Accept-language: en-US
- Authentication-results: internet2.edu; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;internet2.edu; dmarc=none action=none header.from=internet2.edu;
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:0
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Liz Boten,
Internet2 Celebrates 20th Anniversary
Research and Education Leaders to Convene in Chicago for 2016 Global Summit
WASHINGTON, DC, May 10, 2016-- This year, Internet2, operator of the nation’s largest and fastest, coast-to-coast research and education infrastructure, celebrates its 20th anniversary.
This year's Global Summit, May 15-18 in Chicago,
will commemorate the community’s rich 20 year history and bright future,
and will feature sessions on a variety of timely and relevant topics, including innovations in advanced networking and services, cloud-based research, education and service missions, cyber security and trust and identity in education and research, and healthcare
and life sciences. The event is being hosted by Northwestern University, University of Illinois at Chicago and Loyola University Chicago. The Global Summit will include participants from 39 countries, including: Albania, Armenia, Australia, Brazil, Canada,
Chile, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Jordan, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kenya, Lebanon, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Poland, Qatar, Senegal, Singapore, Slovenia, South Africa,
Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Zambia.
The theme for the 2016 Global Summit in Chicago – site of the first official meeting that eventually led to the formation of Internet2 - will focus on honoring the members who have shaped and developed Internet2 over the past 20 years, and showcasing visionaries whose work and strategies will shape the next 20 years for the entire Research and Education community.
Connectivity at the Internet2 event is sponsored by AT&T, which will provide attendees 200GB of bandwidth. This connectivity will ensure event attendees experience the full scope and performance of the Internet2 network. The capabilities of the network include up to 100Gb data flows over Layer2 or Layer3 (IPv4 and IPv6) networks, eduroam enabled wireless networking, the use of state-of-the-art video conferencing, and the ability to demonstrate native Software Defined Networking (SDN) applications that work seamless across the infrastructure.
"The creation of Internet2 by a group of visionary higher education leaders 20 years ago has opened up unimagined opportunities for research innovation across the globe," said Bruce Maas, vice provost for Information Technology and CIO, University of Wisconsin-Madison, co-chair, Global Summit program committee. "Similarly, it has given opportunities for the private and public sectors to work together collaboratively to address emerging leading edge issues and needs. I want to thank AT&T, which is bringing deep industry expertise to support the Global Summit network needs in Chicago. As we look to the next 20 years, we will increasingly rely on public and private partnerships for the next generation of innovations to come."
“The Internet2 Global Summit is an exciting event, and this year’s anniversary festivities make it an especially celebratory time for the R&E community,” said Sean Reynolds, vice president for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer, Northwestern University, co-chair, Global Summit program committee. “This conference will truly showcase the power of advanced networking on a global scale, bringing together collaborators from across the world to support research and scientific discovery.”
The Summit will also feature keynote addresses from top R&E leaders, presentations from noted experts, and sessions focused on partnerships and advanced technologies—all designed to inspire and equip community leaders with vital information as they transform and elevate the academy today and beyond.
Program highlights Include:
· Featured speaker Charlie Catlett, founding director, Urban Center for Computation and Data, UrbanCCD Open Data and Instrumenting Cities. Catlett will discuss the current state of the ongoing Array of Things (AOT) project in the city where the nodes are live. The project is led by Catlett with researchers from the Urban Center for Computation and Data of the Computation Institute, a joint initiative of Argonne National Laboratory and the University of Chicago. Catlett will discuss where the nodes will be placed, what can be done with the data collected, and will address security concerns, and what the project is doing to protect the data. The keynote session will highlight the initial deployment, funded by NSF, as well as the recent open grid case that will allow for one click implementation of open grid for cities—followed by a general discussion of blending the research of universities with local government.
· Featured speaker Joseph Emerson, leading researcher in quantum computing. Emerson will present on some of the key features of quantum physics that define the trademark weirdness of the quantum world, and then explain how researchers today are learning to harness that quantum weirdness to enable radically new capabilities for computation and communication that will have a dramatic impact on information technology.
· How to Cloud Workshop, for campus representatives who are exploring, or have embarked on, the implementation of a campus cloud strategy
· Further Defining a Global Network Architecture (GNA), an update on the GNA framework, current pathfinders, and future goals.
Please contact Liz Boten () for sources and resources to assist in your coverage of higher education and to explore the rich history and bright future of R&E.
Internet2 is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation’s leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for
U.S. research and education organizations to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research and community service missions.
- [I2-NEWS] Press Release: Internet2 Celebrates 20th Anniversary, Elizabeth Boten, 05/10/2016
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.