i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Unizin Becomes Independent Incorporated Nonprofit

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Unizin Becomes Independent Incorporated Nonprofit

  • From: Elizabeth Boten <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Unizin Becomes Independent Incorporated Nonprofit
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 15:13:26 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:0

COMMUNITY UPDATE

May 3, 2016

Contact: Liz Boten,

Unizin Becomes Independent Incorporated Nonprofit

Consortium will now operate outside of Internet2

WASHINGTON, DC, May 3, 2016--Unizin recently announced it has become an independent incorporated nonprofit organization. Previously, Unizin has incubated as an unincorporated association within Internet2 guided initially by four Internet2 member universities and has subsequently grown to 11 founding campuses, plus the State University System of Florida. Unizin, Ltd. now launched with direct responsibility for all product, service, legal, financial and human resources.

“Internet2 strives to support the innovation and advancement to benefit all of higher education. When our member institutions stepped forward with the idea for Unizin, we were pleased to offer support for the effort and its great to see Unizin has been such a success,” said Shel Waggener, Internet2, senior vice president and Unizin board member. “Working in concert with one another from the on-set has been extremely rewarding and proof that collaboration in the higher ed community can truly transform technology and ultimately the teaching and learning digital experience.”

Read more about this new non-profit, from Amin Qazi, Unizin CEO.

About Internet2

Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation’s leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research and community service missions.

Internet2 also operates the nation’s largest and fastest, coast-to-coast research and education network, with Internet2 Network Operations Center powered by Indiana University. Internet2 serves more than 90,000 community anchor institutions, 305 U.S. universities, 70 government agencies, 42 regional and state education networks, 84 leading corporations working with our community and more than 65 national research and education networking partners representing more than 100 countries.

Internet2 offices are located in Ann Arbor, MI; Denver, CO; Emeryville, CA; Washington, DC; and West Hartford, CT. For more information, visit www.internet2.edu or follow @Internet2 on Twitter.

  • [I2-NEWS] Unizin Becomes Independent Incorporated Nonprofit, Elizabeth Boten, 05/03/2016