i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Unizin Welcomes Three New Founding Members

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Unizin Welcomes Three New Founding Members

  • From: Glenn Lipscomb <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Unizin Welcomes Three New Founding Members
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 16:00:49 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Unizin Welcomes Three New Founding Members

Oregon State University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and University of Minnesota Join Unizin

EMERYVILLE, Calif. – October 1, 2014 - Unizin, a university-owned and directed consortium that provides standards-based digital education infrastructure for its members, announced today that Oregon State University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and University of Minnesota are now members of Unizin. “That three more world-class institutions joined Unizin further validates our strategy and gives us the momentum to have greater impact on teaching and learning,” said Amin Qazi, Chief Executive Officer of Unizin. “The participation of these institutions will greatly extend our reach and strengthen the services Unizin provides to its members.”

“Oregon State’s leadership in the Unizin collaboration signals our commitment to digital learning and the analytics we can employ in our strategic efforts to improve learner success,” said Sabah Randhawa, Oregon State University Provost and Executive Vice President. “That—learner success—is one of the primary issues that drives us as a university.”

“Our new reality is that we must pool our talents, public and private, to create scalable opportunities to move our primary teaching, learning and research missions forward,” Bruce Maas, CIO and Vice Provost of Information Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison wrote.  “We have made remarkable progress in collaborative work and investments to support research among our peer institutions. Unizin holds promise to do the same for teaching and learning.”

“We are delighted at the addition of these new institutions which considerably strengthens Unizin, and will accelerate deployment of our next generation learning infrastructure,” said Patrick Burns, Vice President for IT and Dean of Libraries at Colorado State University.

“The University of Minnesota is excited to join Unizin and to work with the other founding member universities to exert greater academic influence on the future of digital education,” said Karen Hanson, Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost of the University of Minnesota. “This collaboration will strengthen our ability to navigate successfully a rapidly evolving landscape and will give us new opportunities to leverage best practices in teaching and learning.”

Unizin is continuing to explore and integrate cloud-scale services from leading solutions to extend the full capabilities of its digital learning ecosystem.

For more information, including Unizin membership, frequently asked questions and updates, visit http://www.unizin.org/

About Unizin

The Unizin consortium, launched by Colorado State University, the University of Florida, Indiana University and the University of Michigan, will provide a common technological platform delivered over higher education’s community-owned national research and education network operated by Internet2. Unizin operates as an unincorporated association at Internet2, a leading not for profit global technology organization with more than 450 member institutions across the higher education, government and business communities. For more on Unizin, see http://www.unizin.org/

Previous Unizin press releases and news: http://unizin.org/news/

Higher education contact:

Media contact: Glenn Lipscomb, 720-379-9677 or

###

  • [I2-NEWS] Unizin Welcomes Three New Founding Members, Glenn Lipscomb, 10/01/2014