i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2 and DLT Solutions Bring Amazon Web Services to Higher Education Institutions

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Internet2 and DLT Solutions Bring Amazon Web Services to Higher Education Institutions

  • From: Glenn Lipscomb <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 and DLT Solutions Bring Amazon Web Services to Higher Education Institutions
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 12:38:03 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Internet2 NET+ and DLT Solutions Bring Amazon Web Services to Higher Education Institutions

New Program Available Now to All Higher Education Campuses

WASHINGTON, D.C.—(October 1, 2014)—Higher education leaders, Internet2 and DLT Solutions today announced that a customized offering of Amazon Web Services (AWS) will be immediately available via Internet2’s NET+ initiative to all higher education campuses.

The University of Virginia, the sponsoring institution, and the University of Chicago, Cornell University, the University of Iowa and the University of Wisconsin worked diligently with Internet2 and DLT Solutions, a major reseller of AWS, to define and tailor the new service as an Internet2 NET+ offering.

“We are glad that our faculty and staff will have access to Amazon cloud infrastructure under a NET+ offering. It will enhance our research, technology, and computational offerings, while improving the contractual terms. We are looking to add this service to our existing portfolio of services available to faculty. These services are important in supporting the work of faculty and continuing our tradition of rigorous inquiry,” said Klara Jelinkova, chief information technology officer at the University of Chicago.

The offering will provide key enhancements to standard AWS education terms currently offered to higher education. In addition, the initial offering will provide services for faculty, staff, and administrative and institutional accounts.

Key AWS Enhancements for Higher Education Institutions

Some of the key enhancements included in the DLT Solutions program for Internet2 member institutions are::

·       Liability Cap

·       DLT Solutions Data Egress Waiver

·       Service Warranty

·       State Governing Law

·       Sovereign Immunity with respect to indemnification

·       FERPA Compliance

·       Security Representations

·       Local Venue

·       Enhanced Helpdesk and Support (ITAR Compliant)

“The NET+ AWS initial offering, by and for higher education, provides a new option to the standard AWS state & local government and education terms,” said Shelton Waggener, senior vice president of Internet2. “We encourage all universities to talk to us about this unique offering that contains specific higher education benefits for research and pedagogy.”

"As a company focused on serving the U.S. Public Sector, DLT Solutions is excited about this opportunity to provide a unique, national purchasing program making it easy for Internet2's research and education community to take advantage of the many benefits of cloud computing," said Brian Strosser, executive vice president at DLT Solutions.

Oren Sreebny, senior director for emerging technologies and communications at the University of Chicago’s IT services department said, “We’re glad to see this process result in a successful outcome. We have researchers and departments who are very enthusiastic about taking advantage of cloud infrastructure for the scalability, geographic distribution, and large data and computation abilities that are offered. We’re very pleased to have a NET+ agreement with AWS and DLT Solutions as our first foray into cloud infrastructure.”

Institutions interested in this new Internet2 NET+ AWS program should email  or visit www.dltcloudnavigator.com. See also our Internet2 NET+ video at http://bit.ly/netplus_video

About Internet2

Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research, and community service missions.

Internet2 also operates the nation’s largest and fastest, coast-to-coast research and education network, in which the Network Operations Center is powered by Indiana University. Internet2 serves more than 93,000 community anchor institutions, 255 U.S. universities, 70 government agencies, 38 regional and state education networks, 80 leading corporations working with our community and more than 65 national research and education networking partners representing more than 100 countries.

Internet2 offices are located in Ann Arbor, Mich.; Denver, Colo.; Emeryville, Calif.; Washington, D.C; and West Hartford, Conn. For more information, visit www.internet2.edu or follow @Internet2 on Twitter.

About DLT Solutions

For more than twenty years, DLT Solutions has been the IT software and solutions provider of choice for federal, state, local government and education customers. By hand selecting its manufacturer partners including Amazon Web Services Autodesk, Google, NetApp, Oracle, Dell Software, Red Hat, Solarwinds and Symantec, DLT fulfills its mission to be a value-added reseller of only the best software and hardware products and services, as well as a premier provider of technical support, through its many government contracts.  The company specializes in carefully-selected solution areas — Cloud Computing, Data Center Consolidation, Geospatial Data Systems and Computer-Aided Design for transportation, utilities and manufacturing.  For more information or to place an order, contact DLT Solutions at 800-262-4358; email ; or visit www.dlt.com. Also, on LinkedIn and Twitter (@DLTSolutions).

For media assistance:

Glenn Lipscomb for Internet2, 720-379-9677 or

Leah Wilkinson for DLT Solutions, 703-907-0010 or

###

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2 and DLT Solutions Bring Amazon Web Services to Higher Education Institutions, Glenn Lipscomb, 10/01/2014