i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Names Susannah Spellman as U.S. UCAN Executive Director

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Internet2 Names Susannah Spellman as U.S. UCAN Executive Director

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Names Susannah Spellman as U.S. UCAN Executive Director
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 09:06:09 -0400 (EDT)

Internet2 Names Susannah Spellman as U.S. UCAN Executive Director

Ann Arbor, Mich.—August 2, 2012—Internet2 today announced Susannah Spellman
as Executive Director of the United States Unified Community Anchor Network
(U.S. UCAN). She will report to Vice President for External Relations and
General Counsel John S. Morabito, in the Washington, D.C. office.

“Susannah’s experience with the nation’s government and business leaders in
broadband service and community anchor institutions will greatly benefit U.S.
UCAN,” said Internet2 Vice President John S. Morabito. “In collaboration with
regional research and education networks across the country, her leadership
will assist anchor institutions in serving their communities with
telemedicine, distance learning, and other innovative applications.”

In this role, Spellman will lead Internet2’s efforts to support the broadband
needs of community anchor institutions from around the country. She will
oversee the Internet2 K20 initiative and rural health care program, and
explore new ways to leverage Internet2’s national research and education
network for the benefit of public safety, public media, and other public
institutions.

“As U.S. UCAN's executive director, Susannah will help develop sustaining
business models in partnership with regional operating networks, community
anchor institutions, and Internet2 to advance our mutual interest in bringing
advanced network services and applications throughout the nation," said
Pankaj Shah, executive director, Ohio Academic Resources Network (OARnet).
"Her experience in telecommunications and the U.S. Department of Commerce’s
Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP) is a great fit for U.S.
UCAN, and I look forward to working with her.”

Spellman has an extensive background in broadband and technology issues. For
the past five years, she has worked at Booz Allen Hamilton leading teams
specializing in BTOP and the Public Safety Interoperable Communications Grant
Program. She also has worked for Deutsche Telekom’s consulting arm,
developing market and product offering strategies for mobile and fiber
broadband markets, at Telcordia Technologies consulting in the areas of new
telecommunications business and market entry strategy, and with IBM in
business development and marketing. Spellman holds a BA in Telecommunications
from Pennsylvania State University and a MA in International Science and
Technology Policy from George Washington University.

"The American Library Association (ALA) welcomes the announcement of Susannah
Spellman as the Executive Director for U.S. UCAN,” said Bob Bocher, Fellow,
ALA Office for Information Technology Policy. “We look forward to working
with her and other U.S. UCAN partners to help address the critical need of
libraries and other anchor institutions to adopt high-speed broadband
services and applications at affordable costs. Use of broadband is essential
to ensure that anchor institutions can continue to develop and deliver
high-quality information and technology services to our communities."

Working with its regional network partners, Internet2’s U.S. UCAN project
will utilize the newly upgraded 100G-enabled Internet2 Network to allow
advanced networking features for more than 200,000 of the country’s community
anchor institutions, including libraries, hospitals, K-12 schools, community
colleges, and public safety organizations. BTOP helped fund Internet2’s
network upgrade and the U.S. UCAN program.

About Internet2

Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the
nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a
collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to
solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in
support of their educational, research, and community service missions. For
more information, visit www.internet2.edu.

For media assistance, contact Todd Sedmak at 202-331-5373 or
.

Visit our website: www.internet2.edu
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/internet2
Become a Fan on Facebook: www.internet2.edu/facebook

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Names Susannah Spellman as U.S. UCAN Executive Director, Todd Sedmak, 08/02/2012