i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Higher Education Leaders Announce Disruptive Technologies to Advance U.S. Scientific Research and Help Reduce Higher Education Costs

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Higher Education Leaders Announce Disruptive Technologies to Advance U.S. Scientific Research and Help Reduce Higher Education Costs
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 10:42:52 -0400 (EDT)

Higher Education Leaders Announce Disruptive Technologies to Advance U.S.
Scientific Research and Help Reduce Higher Education Costs

Arizona State, Case Western Reserve, Cincinnati, Clemson, Georgia Tech,
Indiana, Ohio State, and regional partners OARnet, I-Light and SOX pilot
innovations and “Big Data” needs of global researchers

Arlington, VA—April 25, 2012—Senior, higher education executives announced
today that they will use the nation’s fastest, coast-to-coast network to
implement new technologies that support scientific “Big Data” and cloud
applications to drive innovation in global collaborative research. The intent
is to strengthen the nation’s position as a global leader in research and
education for decades to come, and at the same time help control higher
education costs.

The technologies bundled in the Internet2 Network create the first open,
national-scale testbed of revolutionary Software Defined Networking (SDN) and
OpenFlow standards, combined with the abundant bandwidth of the world’s first
transcontinental network deployment of 100G technology. These unique,
disruptive technologies are key components of the Internet2 Innovation
Platform.

“Connecting to Internet2’s Innovation Platform will greatly advance research
and job growth across Ohio's higher education, medical research,
manufacturing, and technology networking corridors,” said Pankaj Shah,
executive director of OARnet, which is one of 10 organizations announcing
their intent to pilot the Internet2 Innovation Platform technologies. “Across
the nation sectors such as health care, agriculture, and engineering --in
conjunction with research and economic development efforts -- produce
enormous volumes of data. By connecting to Internet2’s 100 Gigabit per second
platform, Ohio's and the other organizations' ability to analyze this data
and collaborate globally increases exponentially.”

Along with OARnet, Arizona State University, Case Western Reserve University,
Clemson University, Georgia Tech, Indiana University, The Ohio State
University, the University of Cincinnati and regional networks including
I-Light (Indiana) and Southern-Crossroads (SOX) announced their intent to
pilot the Internet2 Innovation Platform technologies.

Policy and industry leaders are also beginning to recognize the power of
these technologies. Last week, Google publicly embraced SDN and OpenFlow at
the Open Networking Summit in Santa Clara, CA. Urs Hölzle, senior vice
president, technical infrastructure for Google called the idea behind these
advances, “the most significant change in networking in the entire lifetime
of Google.”

Further, the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy recently
announced the “Big Data Research and Development Initiative” to accelerate
the pace of discovery in research and transform teaching and learning. The
National Science Foundation (NSF) is a co-sponsoring department of the
solicitation, and the NSF-funded GENI program has been a long-time advocate
for SDN to support experimental networks.

Chip Elliot, project director for the GENI Project Office (GPO) stated, "The
combination of research and education, business, and policy leaders
recognizing and implementing the power of these new technologies is the spark
needed for the next generation of innovative applications to flourish.”

Though the Internet2 community has been experimenting with SDN and 100G
technologies for some time, the need for the combination of these advanced
technologies into a unified set of solutions that universities can implement
is just in time, according to Clemson University CIO Jim Bottum. “We are at a
crossroads in terms of network innovation. The commercial sector is reaching
a maturity level where incremental changes are the norm. The research and
education communities have always been the change agent for new networking
innovation and at this time it is more important than ever that we lead this
effort. We need to reinvigorate our community and move to support all aspects
– production, research and education.”

Researchers studying clean energy, climate change, cancer cures, astronomy,
high-energy physics, and other important global sciences have urgent needs to
reliably and securely exchange “Big Data” produced by their experiments at
the press of a button, instead of shipping physical data storage media across
the country and the world.

Equally important are more efficient, better-yielding technology solutions
for university business functions in efforts to reduce higher education
costs. The Internet2 Innovation Platform technologies provide solutions for
secure and reliable data transmissions into a cloud environment, and support
for the exploding use of bandwidth-consuming multimedia in modern education
delivery, among other applications university leaders can use to transform
higher education models.

“The research and education community has played a seminal role in the
creation of the modern Internet and the applications that have made it one of
the most transformative technologies of our lifetime,” said Dave Lambert,
Internet2 President and CEO. “The Internet we know today and the new global
markets it created are largely the result of early investments by university
network leaders. Getting these revolutionary technologies in the hands of
Internet2 community members will have positive and fundamentally
transformative effects on research and education – the lynchpins of the
global economy.”
About Internet2

Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the
nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a
collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to
solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in
support of their educational, research, and community service missions. For
more information, visit www.internet2.edu.
For media assistance, contact Todd Sedmak at 804-497-0282 or
.

Todd Sedmak
Internet2
PR and Media Relations Manager
202-331-5373 (w), 804-497-0282 (c) or

Visit our website: www.internet2.edu
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/internet2
Become a Fan on Facebook: www.internet2.edu/facebook

  • [I2-NEWS] Higher Education Leaders Announce Disruptive Technologies to Advance U.S. Scientific Research and Help Reduce Higher Education Costs, Todd Sedmak, 04/25/2012