i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2, 16 Major Technology Companies Announce Cloud Service Partnerships to Benefit the Nation's Universities

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2, 16 Major Technology Companies Announce Cloud Service Partnerships to Benefit the Nation's Universities
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:27:12 -0400 (EDT)

Internet2, 16 Major Technology Companies Announce Cloud Service Partnerships
to Benefit the Nation's Universities

Internet2 NET+ Services expand to help universities address research,
education, big data and innovation challenges

Arlington, VA—April 24, 2012—Internet2 and some of the nation's most
prominent high-tech firms announced today partnerships that would expedite
the delivery of cloud services to college campuses nationwide, and address
research, big data and innovation challenges. Internet2, the world's most
advanced networking consortium led by the U.S. research and education
community, is pleased to be joined by Aastra; Adobe; Box; CENIC; Dell;
Desire2Learn; Duo Security; DuraSpace; Evogh; HP; Level 3 Communications;
Merit Network, Inc.; Microsoft; Savvis, a CenturyLink Company; SHI
International; and The Solution Design Group in this initiative. The
Internet2 NET+ Services' announcements were made at the Spring 2012 Internet2
Member Meeting. Go to http://bit.ly/JVsFLD to read about the specific
offerings.

"These major cloud service partnerships are customized to meet the needs of
the Internet2 community and these offerings range in stages from incubator,
proof-of-concept, early adopter and general availability," said Dave Lambert,
Internet2 CEO and president. "No other organization in the United States is
able to offer this level of collaboration between higher education and the
technology industry to launch these strategic cloud services to effectively
and efficiently advance research, innovation and the education mission of our
nation's leading universities."

"We are working with our industry partners to explore new ways to utilize
this new capacity to build a cloud environment that is suited to our needs,"
said Shelton Waggener, Associate Vice Chancellor and CIO University of
California Berkeley, who is the in-coming Internet2 Senior Vice President to
oversee NET+ Services. "Our NET+ partners recognize that our organizations
can help them develop new business models, services, and technical
innovations that will address our needs for big data, research, education and
administration.

"By working together, we can leverage cloud and other services to use these
tools in innovative ways to transform our campuses," added Waggener. "To our
industry partners who provide services around our network resources, I want
to call out to you – consider the possibilities of what our combined efforts
can bring to the future." Internet2 NET+ offerings provide "above the
network" services to Internet2 member organizations, including higher
education, government, and industry. The new services are tailored to the
needs of the Internet2 community, cost and administratively effective, and
leverage Internet2ʼs 100G network and InCommon identity management services.

For more details about these new Internet2 NET+ Services, visit
http://www.internet2.edu/netplus or email

to participate in the service offerings.

The Spring 2012 Internet2 Member Meeting held Sunday, April 22 to Wednesday,
April 25 in Arlington, VA, includes nearly 800 technology leaders involved in
research and education from throughout the United States and the world. The
education and technology executives addressed groundbreaking innovations,
brought about through the implementation of Internet2's 100G network—the
first transcontinental 100 Gigabit per second network in the world, new
network technologies, and opportunities for higher education leaders to
deliver services that leverage this innovation platform. A complete meeting
schedule listing 120 sessions and netcasts can be found on the Spring 2012
Internet2 Member Meeting website.

About Internet2
Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the
nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a
collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to
solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in
support of their educational, research, and community service missions. For
more information, visit www.internet2.edu.

Again, go to http://bit.ly/JVsFLD to read about the specific offerings.

Todd Sedmak
Internet2
PR and Media Relations Manager
202-331-5373 (w), 804-497-0282 (c) or

Visit our website: www.internet2.edu
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/internet2
Become a Fan on Facebook: www.internet2.edu/facebook

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2, 16 Major Technology Companies Announce Cloud Service Partnerships to Benefit the Nation's Universities, Todd Sedmak, 04/24/2012