i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Names John S. Morabito As Vice President and General Counsel

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Internet2 Names John S. Morabito As Vice President and General Counsel

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Names John S. Morabito As Vice President and General Counsel
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:38:14 -0400 (EDT)

Internet2 Names John S. Morabito As Vice President and General Counsel

Ann Arbor, Mich.—March 19, 2012—Internet2 President and CEO Dave Lambert
announced today that John S. Morabito has joined Internet2 as Vice President
and General Counsel, effective immediately. He will provide senior executive
leadership for external relations and legal matters. Mr. Morabito is the
former Deputy Associate Administrator in the Office of Policy Analysis and
Development for the U.S Department of Commerce’s National Telecommunications
and Information Administration (NTIA).

Morabito helped NTIA in its role as principal adviser to the President on
telecommunications and information matters. He joined NTIA in May 2009 to
serve as the Senior Policy Advisor for the Broadband Technology Opportunities
Program.

“I am delighted to have John join Internet2 and our senior executive
leadership team. John’s depth and breadth of knowledge and experience with
telecommunications and Internet policy issues and relationships within
industry, non-profit organizations, and the government will greatly benefit
the Internet2 community,” said Internet2 President and CEO Dave Lambert.
“John’s leadership will expand our opportunities to both strategically
advance the needs of Internet2 members and the broader research and education
community, and showcase our impact to potential new members, and federal,
state and local leaders.”

In his new role, Morabito will be responsible for developing and implementing
external relations, in coordination with other higher education associations
and interests, with the goal of maintaining Internet2 as a leader, trusted
authority, and resource in the area of advanced Internet development. This
responsibility will include cultivating support and providing high-speed
Internet connectivity to community anchor institutions. As General Counsel,
Morabito will lead Internet2 on a wide range of legal matters and provide
counsel to the senior executive leadership team.

Morabito has more than 20 years of experience in communications and
information technology. Prior to joining NTIA, he served as Vice President
of Government Affairs and Policy Counsel for Comcast Corporation, Vice
President and Associate General Counsel for Qwest Communications, Vice
President of Federal Affairs for Frontier Corporation, Counsel for the United
States House of Representatives Committee on Commerce, and Deputy Division
Chief of several divisions in the Common Carrier Bureau at the Federal
Communications Commission.

Morabito received a J.D. from the University of Maryland School of Law, an
A.B. in Economics from Vassar College, and attended the London School of
Economics as part of his undergraduate degree. Morabito is a member of the
New York, Maryland, District of Columbia, and Connecticut bars and the
Federal Communications Bar Association. He is also admitted to practice law
before the United States Supreme Court.

About Internet2

Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the
nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a
collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to
solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in
support of their educational, research, and community service missions. For
more information, visit www.internet2.edu.

For media assistance, contact Todd Sedmak at 202-331-5373 or
.

###

Visit our website: www.internet2.edu
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/internet2
Become a Fan on Facebook: www.internet2.edu/facebook

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Names John S. Morabito As Vice President and General Counsel, Todd Sedmak, 03/19/2012