i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Indiana University Chosen to Lead High Performance Research Network Between US and China

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Indiana University Chosen to Lead High Performance Research Network Between US and China

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Indiana University Chosen to Lead High Performance Research Network Between US and China
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:48:45 -0400 (EDT)

Indiana University Chosen to Lead High Performance Research Network Between
US and China

Bloomington, Ind. –-(Oct. 11, 2011)--The Indiana University GlobalNOC and
partners will complete a high performance research network link between the
US and China with a grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF). The
project will link the China Education and Research Network (CERNET) with
Internet2 and US research and education networks, allowing researchers and
educators in both the US and China to more easily collaborate and share
research data.

“International networks do not currently operate at the levels needed to
fully support growing collaborative scientific research between the US and
China,” said Indiana University President Michael A. McRobbie. “With more
than 400 current NSF projects involving China and many new projects planned,
a high-speed connection between the countries has become very important to
leading American scientific and medical collaborations which promise
technical innovations and breakthroughs in healthcare.”

The award is the latest in Indiana University’s series of large-scale
international networking grants received within the past decade. The IU
GlobalNOC currently leads international networks such as TransPAC3 to Europe
and America Connects to Europe (ACE).

"I'm delighted that the National Science Foundation has again chosen IU to
lead this important international network project," said Brad Wheeler, vice
president for information technology and CIO at Indiana University. "For
over a decade, IU has developed the expertise and relationships to lead at
these international levels."

An ongoing partnership between IU GlobalNOC, CERNET and Internet2 made this
project possible. In the last ten years, the partners have worked together on
a range of efforts to support research and education networking for
scientific collaboration, including solving access problems caused by China’s
large, growing population.

“This is, of course, not the first network connection between the US and
China - but it is the first specifically dedicated to university scientific
research,” said Jim Williams, director of international networking at the
Indiana University GlobalNOC. “This will allow university scientists to move
larger sets of data between the US and China more quickly and easily.”

Internet2, the world’s most advanced network for global scientific research,
is also a critical partner in the rollout. Internet2 has collaborated with
more than 50 countries to enable access to its advanced network and
next-generation networking technologies for US universities and researchers
working in China.

“Global collaboration among data-intensive researchers is simply the new
standard in today’s world. One of Internet2’s foundational principles is
supporting global research and enabling new dimensions of collaboration,”
said Dave Lambert, Internet2 President and CEO. “Our current upgrade to the
Internet2 Network will create the world’s first 100 Gigabit Ethernet
production network – and is key to the future of supporting global scientific
research collaboration with China and all of our global partners.”

CERNET is leading implementation of the network and creating the needed
cyberinfrastructure within China, with financial support from the Chinese
government.

The network is expected to be operational in late fall or early winter 2011.

Media contact:
Daphne Siefert-Herron
Communication Strategist
Indiana University
(812)856-1242

To UNsubscribe, send an e-mail to

**from the address you
subscribed with** and use the following message in the subject: unsubscribe
i2-news

  • [I2-NEWS] Indiana University Chosen to Lead High Performance Research Network Between US and China, Todd Sedmak, 10/11/2011