i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Data Center Management Course Presented Online by Merit Network

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Data Center Management Course Presented Online by Merit Network

  • From: Brian Warkoczeski <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Data Center Management Course Presented Online by Merit Network
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 11:07:35 -0400

Merit Network Announces Online Learning for "Data Center Infrastructure Management," June 6-8

Learning Opportunity Offered to IT Professionals in Education Across the U.S.

April 15, 2011

Ann Arbor, Mich. - Merit Network, Inc. announced today that it is hosting "Data Center Infrastructure Management," a three-day online course on the essentials of managing modern data and computing infrastructures. The course is provided through Merit's Professional Learning program and will be held on Monday through Wednesday, June 6-8, 2011.

"Data Center Infrastructure Management" will be offered via an online learning system, thereby making attendance possible from any location with an Internet connection. Individuals from educational institutions are invited to attend at a reduced price.

Andy Rosenzweig, manager of professional learning at Merit, notes that Merit first offered the course in November of 2010.

"We had an excellent response to the previous presentation of this course. Participants found the content highly relevant and the instruction first-rate. The online interface functioned well for this topic, allowing good comprehension and opportunities to interact with the instructor. The online format also saved busy people the time and expense of travel to a traditional classroom."

The course provides knowledge about the professional management of data facilities, an increasingly important topic for organizations of all sizes. The course is of value to individuals who manage data centers or server rooms, IT staff with hardware responsibilities, and facilities managers.

Key topics include power and cooling infrastructure, hardware and configuration choices that can improve energy efficiency, management tools and practices for maximizing data center performance, integrating ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) as a management strategy, and steps for improving data center availability.

The course is instructed by its creator, David Cole. Cole has extensive experience in data center management, software development and device monitoring and control. He is a Certified Data Center Professional through ICOR, a Microsoft Certified Professional Systems Engineer, and is certified for ITIL version 3.

Elwood Downing, Merit's vice president of member relations, communications and services, welcomes the national educational community to the course.

"Merit is proud to support professional development among our Members and to provide options for learning critical skills in networking and technology. As a part of the national networking community, Merit is pleased to offer broader access to courses such as this to educational, research and non-profit organizations," Downing said.

Registration and more information are available at:

http://www.merit.edu/learning/dcim2011

About Merit Network

Merit Network Inc., a nonprofit corporation owned and governed by Michigan's public universities, owns and operates America's longest-running regional research and education network. In 1966, Michigan's public universities created Merit as a shared resource to help meet their common need for networking assistance. Since its formation, Merit Network has remained on the forefront of research and education networking expertise and services. Merit provides high-performance networking solutions to public universities, colleges, K-12 organizations, libraries, state government, healthcare, and other non-profit organizations.

  • [I2-NEWS] Data Center Management Course Presented Online by Merit Network, Brian Warkoczeski, 04/15/2011