i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet Society deploys DNSSEC for ISOC.org

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Internet Society deploys DNSSEC for ISOC.org

  • From: Greg Wood <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet Society deploys DNSSEC for ISOC.org
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:48:11 +0200

INTERNET SOCIETY EMBRACES DOMAIN NAME SECURITY TECHNOLOGY

ISOC.org is the first .ORG domain to put into production domain name "tamper
proof packaging"

BRUSSELS, Belgium – 23 June 2010 – The Internet Society today announced that
it has deployed DNSSEC, a set of extensions to the domain name system that
provides a level of assurance, for its ISOC.org domain. The announcement
builds on today’s announcement by the Public Interest Registry that they have
implemented DNSSEC for the entire .ORG top-level domain.

“We are pleased to be among the first organisations in the .ORG top level
domain to deploy DNSSEC, as DNSSEC provides an important building block for
increasing user confidence in the Internet”, said Lynn St.Amour, President
and CEO of the Internet Society. “Implementing DNSSEC for the .ORG top-level
domain is an important step in ensuring the global Internet serves as a
trusted channel for communication and collaboration and we applaud the Public
Interest Registry's efforts in this area”.

DNSSEC ensures the integrity of domain name data, complementing technologies
such as SSL, which ensures the integrity of the content of a webpage’s
transmission.

“DNSSEC acts like tamper-proof packaging to make sure that when you type in
the website name of your bank you actually get the server IP address your
bank wants you to use, ” said Leslie Daigle, Chief Internet Technology
Officer of the Internet Society. “In this way, DNSSEC allows us to have more
confidence in the online activities that are increasingly becoming a part of
our lives at work, home, and school.”

DNSSEC technology used today is the result of careful protocol engineering
and standardisation within the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), the
premier Internet standards body in the world; implementation by various DNS
vendors; and operational trials by DNS operators. In addition to .ORG, DNSSEC
is currently implemented by several country-specific top-level domains:
Brazil (.br), Bulgaria (.bg), Czech Republic (.cz), Puerto Rico (.pr), and
Sweden (.se).

About the Internet Society
The Internet Society (ISOC) is a non-profit organisation founded in 1992 to
provide leadership in Internet related standards, education, and policy. ISOC
is the organisational home of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), the
Internet's premier technical standards body. With offices in Washington,
D.C., and Geneva, Switzerland, it is dedicated to ensuring the open
development, evolution, and use of the Internet for the benefit of people
throughout the world. For more information see:
http://ISOC.org

Media Contact
Greg Wood
Internet Society

+1-703-439-2145

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet Society deploys DNSSEC for ISOC.org, Greg Wood, 06/23/2010