i2-news - Zayo Bandwidth and I-Light to expand broadband services to Ivy Tech through federal stimulus award

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

Zayo Bandwidth and I-Light to expand broadband services to Ivy Tech through federal stimulus award

  • From: "Moore, Gregory A" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Zayo Bandwidth and I-Light to expand broadband services to Ivy Tech through federal stimulus award
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:22:38 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Zayo Bandwidth and I-Light to expand broadband services to Ivy Tech through
federal stimulus award

Indiana University president praises plan to complete I-Light vision

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Feb. 18, 2010

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Zayo Bandwidth, a regional provider of fiber-based
bandwidth infrastructure solutions, announced today in partnership with
I-Light that it has received $25.1 million from the American Recovery and
Reinvestment Act to connect 21 Ivy Tech Community College campuses to the
I-Light network, Indiana's high-performance, optical-fiber telecommunications
network for research and education. The award will also allow Zayo to expand
broadband connectivity across the state of Indiana to unserved and
underserved areas.

Zayo Bandwidth will build 626 miles of new 96-strand fiber across the state
to complete this project and provide new jobs. Two strands of fiber will be
dedicated to connect 21 Ivy Tech campuses to I-Light, which connects to the
nation's most advanced educational and research networks Internet2 and
National LambdaRail.

"Indiana was a pioneer in 1999 when the state invested $5.3 million to create
the nation's first optical research and education network that was owned and
operated by higher education," noted IU President Michael A. McRobbie. "That
original network connected the state's major research universities with great
success. In 2005, the state began expanding I-Light to connect all
institutions of higher education to I-Light. This federal award greatly
accelerates that vision by connecting the remaining Ivy Tech campuses."

Ivy Tech President Thomas J. Snyder said, "This investment of stimulus money
for broadband is especially timely for the growing needs of Ivy Tech. It
gives vastly improved connectivity among all Ivy Tech campuses, and connects
our students and faculty to the best educational resources that use high
speed networks. This grant helps increase the overall efficiency for higher
education in the state."

Zayo will also make broadband services available to as many as 80 communities
along the fiber path that presently meet federal guidelines as unserved or
underserved, including more than 480,000 households, 49,000 businesses and
thousands of health, public safety, education and government centers.

The project, totaling $31.8 million overall and expected to be completed in
three years, is also supported by Zayo matching funds and in-kind
contributions and investments from Ivy Tech, Indiana University, Ball State
University and Purdue University.

"Zayo is committed to continually expanding our bandwidth network to unserved
and underserved areas for our customers," said Dan Caruso, Zayo Group
President and CEO. "We are honored to be a part of this exceptional
collaboration to support the success of Indiana educational institutions."

"This major investment continues I-Light's remarkable public-private
partnership to serve education," said Brad Wheeler, IU vice president for IT
& CIO. "This project for Ivy Tech will add 600 miles of fiber to I-Light's
existing 1,200 miles across the state."

The I-Light connections for Ivy Tech will offer increased capacity for
collaboration and innovation in education and research across institutional
and geographic boundaries. Currently there are 41 Indiana higher education
sites connected to the I-Light network.

"Cross-institutional collaboration for research and education allows for more
rapid scientific breakthroughs and expanded educational opportunities,
provides substantial cost savings and leads to accomplishment beyond what any
one organization is capable of achieving alone," said McRobbie. "The
connection of schools via I-Light is an essential tool for realizing this
type of collective success within the state of Indiana."

McRobbie noted that the operational parts of the I-Light network are already
a catalyst for revamping the state's economy to a greater role in research
and education in the life and health sciences, enabling, for example, the
state's single School of Medicine to effectively deliver distributed
education programs to its 8 Medical Education Centers across the state.

I-Light fiber connections made possible by the federal stimulus funding
include Ivy Tech campuses in Anderson, Bloomington (2 locations), Columbus,
Connersville, East Chicago, Elkhart, Evansville, Fairbanks, Fort Wayne, Gary,
Kokomo, Lafayette, Lawrenceburg, Madison, Marion, Michigan City, Monticello,
Muncie, Valparaiso and Warsaw.

About Zayo Bandwidth

Zayo Bandwidth, a wholly owned subsidiary of Zayo Group, owns and operates
fiber optic networks totaling over 20,000 fiber route miles. Zayo Bandwidth
(www.zayo.com/bandwidth) offers services in 141 markets spanning 23 states.
Zayo Bandwidth's mission is to provide responsive bandwidth infrastructure
solutions and a strong and growing network.

About I-Light

I-Light dramatically improves Indiana's position as a national leader in very
high-speed networking in support of teaching, learning, research, technology
transfer and inter-institutional collaboration and cooperation, activities
that will help fuel the state's economy. Network management for I-Light is
provided by the Global Research Network Operations Center (GRNOC) at Indiana
University, a premier provider of highly responsive network coordination,
engineering, monitoring and installation services that support the
advancement of Research and Education networking. The GRNOC supports the
Internet2 and National Lambda Rail research networks as well as many regional
optical networks and international connections. Also supporting I-Light is
the I-Light network support team, part of University Information Technology
Services (UITS) at Indiana University.

Media contact:
Christine Fitzpatrick
IU OVPIT

317-278-1818

###

  • Zayo Bandwidth and I-Light to expand broadband services to Ivy Tech through federal stimulus award, Moore, Gregory A, 02/18/2010